Friday, July 17, 2015

Film Fridays! -- July 17, 2015


*movie titles link to IMDB pages*

Reviews

Because we finally started Orange is the New Black, I ended up only watching one movie this week, so let's get right into it!

Title: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Starring: Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel

Thoughts: My mom and I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel a few months ago, and absolutely fell in love with it. The premise is that several elderly British people find this long-term hotel in Jaipur, India, that caters specifically to the elderly. Sp we've been anxiously awaiting for this sequel to release on DVD so we could see it, and it finally came out this week!

The first movie was a sleeper hit, but this sequel got less enthusiastic reviews. And I now can see why.

The first movie was full of beautiful, touching moments, and every member of the ensemble cast got their own chunk of the story. It had its sad moments, but it was full of joy and finding meaning in your life, even in your golden years.

The sequel also had its merits; there were a few touching moments and plenty of laughs. And even though they probably weren't necessary, the dance scenes gave me so much happiness; I will never turn down an opportunity to see Dev Patel dance. (That boy is so goofy looking, but he is downright sexy when he dances. Don't ask me why.) But the story is much more of mess here. More characters are introduced, which leaves less time for other original characters. Plot threads are introduced and never fully explored, and a few are left hanging all together at the end. Though I had cried in the first movie, it left with me hope and satisfaction; the sequel left me wondering where the rest of the movie was.

I still enjoyed it. It's impossible not to love the adorably awkward Bill Nighy try to start a new relationship with Dame Judi Dench. But it just didn't give me the warm fuzzies like the first film did.

Rating: B-

Releases

In addition to The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, several more movies came out on DVD this week. On Tuesday, July 7th, the following movie came out on DVD and Blu-ray: 

Starring: Kevin James, Raini Rodriguez


Starring: Britt Robertson, Scott Eastwood







Title: It Follows
Starring: Maika Monroe, Keir Gilchrist


Title: Ex Machina
Starring: Alicia Vikander, Domhnall Gleeson,
 Oscar Isaac





And two movies are releasing to theaters! 



Title: Ant-Man
Starring: Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll


Title: Trainwreck
Starring: Amy Schumer, Bill Hader






What am I most excited for? ANT-MAN. Obviously. It's an MCU movie, come on! I probably won't make it out to see it this weekend, but I'm still VERY interested to see how it does in the box office. The industry thought Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be a long-shot, and we all saw how that turned out. I would venture to say that Ant-Man is even more of a stretch for box office gold, but I'm hoping that the turn out is good. So if you're a Marvel fan, go see it! 

What I'll Be Watching

I can't imagine that we won't watch at least either It Follows or Ex Machina this weekend. Maybe even both. We'll just have to see. 

Coming off the heels of Comic-Con this last week, we've got a TON of new comic book movie trailers to watch. So many, in fact, that I actually made a separate post all about them! So click here to watch the trailers and read my thoughts, then comment below in either post and let me know what you think! 

Tell me: what movies have YOU seen lately? What are you planning on seeing very soon? And what trailers are you the most excited about? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment