Thursday, October 16, 2014

Favorite TV Shows

I'm almost finished with Shiver, so I'll have another review up soon. But for today, I thought I'd take a mini-break from talking about books and talk about something else I'm completely obsessed with: TV shows! I have about 50 TV shows on my Netflix queue, and I watch probably way too much TV live, but I absolutely love it! And I'm always discovering new shows to check out. Today, I'm just going to mention a few of my absolute FAVORITES, and a couple new shows that have already captured my heart.


Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: I'm a diehard fan in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so of COURSE I was going to make the jump to the TV show when it started last year. And when I realized it was a Mutant Enemy show (which is Joss Whedon's production company), I knew I would absolutely love it. While Joss is not actually the showrunner, his brother and sister-in-law are, and it has all the hallmarks of a Whedon production: twisty plots, loveable characters, and ridiculously snappy dialogue. It's so much fun to see who from the MCU will make fantastic cameos in the show, both in person and just in reference. It's also great to see how the show and the movies get tied to each other. Last year, the show and the MCU became inextricably twined together, with the show foreshadowing the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and the movie having huge plot ramifications on the show. I've always been desperate to see the movies as soon as they released in theaters, but watching this show has made seeing the movies on opening weekend almost a necessity, and I'm totally okay with that. 

Once Upon a Time: Fairy tale retellings are pretty much where it's at, and I've been obsessed with this show since before it even started. I love the way this show twists all of the most familiar tales into this amazing mythology specific to the show. For instance, Rumplestiltskin is not only the land's most dangerous sorcerer, but he is also Captain Hook's crocodile, as well as the Beast to Belle's beauty. I've loved their take on the Wicked Witch, and though I was wary of how they'd pull it off, I am, so far, very intrigued with season four's Frozen storyline. Also, this show has no end to its swoonworthy men, featuring Sheriff Graham (*sob*), August W. Booth, Prince Charming, Neal Cassidy, Robin Hood and my personal favorite, Killian Jones, aka Captain Hook. This show pretty much has it all! 

Red Band Society: This one is a brand new show for the fall 2014 season, and I'm already in love with it. I was a little wary about it at first, but after watching the first episode, I knew I was hooked. The show has so much heart, obviously, but it's also funny as hell, thanks in great part to Octavia Spencer's fabulously snarky Nurse Jackson. All of the kids are fabulous, and of course I love Dave Annable. This is one new show that I just can't wait to tune into every week! 

Doctor Who: Confession: I just became a Whovian last year. But in that year, I watched all seven seasons of the new series, catching up in time to watch the 50th anniversary special live with the rest of the world. And God, do I love it now. I cried, I laughed, I gasped. I just couldn't stop watching it. I've been horrible at keeping up with this season (Saturday nights are usually spent watching movies, not TV), but I've got On Demand, so I can catch up whenever I've got time! Confession 2: Christopher Eccleston is MY Doctor. As much as I adore David and Matt (and Peter, at least in the two episodes I've seen so far), I will always have a special spot in my heart for the leather jacket-wearing Doctor who brought the series back. (The first series finale KILLED ME. Buckets of tears.) 

Scandal: This should come as no shock. Many people love Scandal. I am just one in the crowd. Though you may be shocked to hear that I ship Jake and Olivia, not Fitz and Olivia. I love Fitz, but once Jake came in the picture, I was all over it. Also, this show has made me absolutely loathe the state of Vermont. 

How to Get Away With Murder: This is another new show for the fall 2014 season, but it's a Shonda Rhimes show, and since I love Scandal so much, obviously I was going to tune in for Viola Davis. Also, Dean Thomas (Harry Potter), Officer Bennett (Orange is the New Black), and Paris Gellar (Gilmore Girls) are all on this show about lawyers and murder. How could I NOT love it?

The Mindy Project: Last spring, I discovered my love for this show. That means that I missed the first season and a half, but I'm totally hooked. I love Mindy Kaling and her sense of humor, and DANNY CASTELLANO. Chris Messina is seriously perfect on that show. His dance to Aaliyah's "Try Again" was one moment in TV last year that I literally replayed at least a dozen times. Here, just watch it. You'll fall in love with Danny Castellano, too. 


American Horror Story: I only joined this show during the second season, Asylum, but man it is SO GOOD. My mom and I are horror buffs, so a show like this was right up our alley. I love that every season is different, so we get a complete story every year. I also adore the actors on the show. Jessica Lange is a goddess, and Evan Peters is so wonderful (and adorable.) Freak Show started last week, and I'm loving it so far! 

Haven: Why is that Syfy Original Movies are SO BAD, but their shows are SO GOOD? One of my professors watches Haven, and my mom loves Stephen King, so I decided to start this show on Netflix earlier this spring. I flew through the first three seasons in a few weeks, then the fourth season released on Netflix in August, just in time to marathon it before the fifth season started. Now we're in the middle of season five, and it's still so good. I've always loved Eric Balfour. And I have shipped Audrey and Nathan for SO LONG. This show plays on all my feels so well. 

So that's just a FEW of the shows I love so much. If any of these interest you at all, I definitely recommend giving them a shot! Most of the earlier seasons can be found on Netflix streaming, too. 

Tell me: do YOU watch any of the shows mentioned above? Or what other shows do you watch that you recommend I try? Let me know in the comments below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment