Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (7): Movies to Get You in the Halloween Spirit

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish!

So not all of these are strictly Halloween-themed because some are just straight-up horror films, but I do what I want! Scary movies always get me in the Halloween spirit. :)

Disclaimer: Not all of these movies are "great" movies, critically at least. Some of them are definite guilty pleasures. But I GREATLY enjoy all of these! Also, it was really hard to narrow this down to just ten. So I fudged a little...

10. The classics: Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. I'm lumping these all together because it's hard to put one slasher flick over the other, but these are all such classics in their own right! So I just HAD to include them. 

9. Stay Alive. This is super corny, but I still love it for some reason. It's just fun, and seeing Frankie Muniz in a scary movie? PRICELESS. 

8. The J-Horror craze: The Ring and The Grudge. For both of these movies, I love the originals AND the American remakes. After these movies came out, my mom and I got really in J-Horror for a while, and every time we were at Best Buy, we bought all the Asian horror films we could find. Some were great finds, and some were so not great, but these are the two that started it all! 

7. Zombieland. Zombies are like my FAVORITE paranormal creature. (Seriously, I own more zombie books than any other creature.) And this one has it all. Awesome zombies, tons of humor, clever dialogue, and a little bit of heart. SO GOOD. 

6. Thirteen Ghosts. I know this didn't get great reviews, but this is another one that I can watch all the time. Matthew Lillard is fabulous, and the ghosts are super awesome. And bonus: the DVD has a special feature that explains the backstory of every single ghost. Which is so awesome. 

5. Paranormal Activity. All of them. The first one, especially, was super original. It's a fairly short movie, but almost nothing happens for almost the entire movie. And then all of sudden, all hell breaks loose. And it is fantastic. And the sequels are more of the same, so it gets a little less original every time, but they're still a lot of fun. 

4. The Cabin in the Woods. JOSS WHEDON. Need I say more? Yes? Okay. This is a fantastic scary movie, but it TOTALLY turns the genre on it's head. It's scary but it is HILARIOUS. And full of attractive men. (Okay, so I'm a little shallow. It's fine.) 

3. Scream. This is a modern classic, and I still love it. Even though I know who the killer is and I've seen it a million times, I will watch it pretty much every time it's on TV. Because it's still that good! It manages to be a really great horror film while being super satirical at the same time. 

2. Oculus. This is a brand-new favorite of mine, but MAN, did this movie just get under my skin. It has the scare/jumpiness factor, but for the most part, it's a slightly quieter horror film. So much of the scary is psychological, and the non-linear structure is SO COOL. Like nothing I've seen before, and the second it ended, I knew it was one of my new favorite scary movies that I can watch over and over again. 

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas. This is one movie that is basically a must-watch for me for both Halloween AND Christmas. It's definitely part of my childhood, and it just wouldn't be either holiday season without this movie. So it gets the number one slot! 

Tell me: what are YOUR favorite Halloween or scary movies? Let me know in the comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment