Friday, February 20, 2015

Review: LARK ASCENDING by Meagan Spooner

Title: Lark Ascending
Author: Meagan Spooner
Series: Skylark #3

Why I read it: I have been anxiously awaiting this trilogy conclusion since I finished Shadowlark last winter! Oren made my list of top ten book boyfriends last summer, so I had to find out what happened. And since I've made it my goal to finish more series than I start this year, I thought this was a great time to start making good on that promise!

Thoughts: This was a pretty solid conclusion to the trilogy.

As I'm writing this review, I'm finding it hard to put my thoughts into words. I have to say that as I was reading it, and immediately afterward, I was a little disappointed by this book. But now that it's been a little while since I finished it, I'm realizing I liked it more than I thought I did.

Lark and Oren are still the characters I loved from the first two books, and I continued to root for their relationship throughout the entire book. The supporting characters were interesting as well, and I love seeing how Lark's interactions with people from her city have changed from the first book, after she's seen the real world.

The writing is okay, but I wouldn't say the writing is the selling point for this series. Instead, it's the characters and their relationships. But the writing gets us where we need to go.

I really loved the plot. Eve, the renewable from the first book, provided a really interesting foil for Lark's character, and she ended up driving the plot a lot more than I had expected.

I read this after finishing Ignite Me (review here), and I had a bit of a book hangover, so I was moving through Lark Ascending pretty slowly. But the climax was thrilling, and once I got there, I was flipping pages much faster to discover how it all turned out.

I think my main problem with this book was the world-building. The world-building in the first two books was extremely satisfying, but there were explanations for plot events in this book that just didn't make as much as sense as I needed them to, and the history of their world feels like it still needs to be fleshed out more. So that was where the disappointment came in.

There was also a plot point I wasn't a fan of. I won't get into details because of spoilers, but it involves more drama between Lark and Oren.

That said, the ending was still satisfying, and I appreciate the journey the main characters took throughout the trilogy. I would still recommend this series to anyone who loves science-fiction/fantasy and great romance, especially in the first book.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this series? What did you think of the conclusion? Which book was your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment