Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Review: HALLOWED by Cynthia Hand

*WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS for Book 1*
Proceed at your own peril


Title: Hallowed
Author: Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #2

Why I read it: To continue the trilogy!

Thoughts: I loved this book even more than the first one.

First of all, I have to say that the twist at the end of the first book? That Christian is also an angel-blood? I loved it. I couldn't say that I guessed it, because I would be lying. But I did know that something was up. I think it's a very interesting twist, and it kinds of flips the love triangle onto its head in a way.

Speaking of the love triangle, I really adored how this book dealt with it. For Clara, it's not all black and white. Christian can understand what she's going through in a different, deeper way than Tucker can. And she doesn't want Tucker involved in all the angel-blood stuff because she wants to keep him safe. It's just complicated and I love it. Still a Tucker/Clara shipper, though.

I also really enjoyed how we're getting more and more of the mythology behind the angel-bloods; what it means, what their powers are, and what kinds of angel-bloods exist.

What I loved most about this book is that while the threat of the Dark Wings still looms over the story, it's not the main focus and conflict of this book. Hallowed deals with friendships and relationships, and especially family. It deals with heartbreak and confusion and finding yourself, and loss and grief and coming to terms. I cried while reading this book, which was something I absolutely never expected from this series.

I still definitely recommend this series, especially after reading this sequel and seeing where the series is going. I couldn't wait to read the next book after I finished this.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this book yet? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment