Friday, March 27, 2015

Review: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 1 -- COSMIC AVENGERS

Title: Cosmic Avengers
Author/Artist/Artist: Brian Micheal Bendis/Steve McNiven/Sara Pichelli
Series: Guardians of the Galaxy

Summary: There's a new rule in the galaxy: No one touches Earth!

But why has Earth suddenly become the most important planet in the galaxy? That's what the Guardians of the Galaxy are going to find out! 

Join Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Groot and--wait for it--the Invincible Iron Man as they embark upon one of the most explosive and eye-opening chapters of Marvel NOW! The secrets these galactic Avengers discover will rattle Marvel readers for years to come! But while London deals with a brutal invasion by the Badoon, the fate of the Guardians may have already been decided millions of miles away!

Why I read it: As I've said, I'm trying to get more into graphic novels. I absolutely LOVED the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, so I thought this would be a good jumping-on point for Marvel comics!

Thoughts: This was a great introduction into Marvel comics and the Guardians.

The art style is something that jumped out at me from the beginning, and it's one of the reasons I decided to go for this over Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel for my first Marvel comic book. It's so colorful and fun, and so perfect for the fun story. The art style changes at the end because this trade includes an issue from another storyline, so the artist is different. That threw me a bit, because the story in that issue has deviated from the main story, so at first I wasn't sure what was going on. But that's probably just because I was a newbie, and was unfamiliar with that kind of thing. It's easier to spot and realize for me now, so it won't be an issue in the future.

The story is great. I especially loved the prelude at the beginning, depicting how Peter Quill's parents met and fell in love. There's a montage page that has no words, but is so adorable because it illustrates their growing relationship so perfectly. And this prelude perfectly sets the stage for the rest of the story.

My one and only complaint is that there are only three issues of the main story collected here, the plot is slightly lacking. If the series was a movie, this volume would be the inciting incident only. But that's a minor complaint. It definitely intrigued me enough to want to continue the series!

Rating: 4/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this volume of Guardians of the Galaxy? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment