Friday, March 13, 2015

Review: SERENITY - LEAVES ON THE WIND

Title: Serenity: Leaves on the Wind
Author: Zack Whedon
Series: Serenity #4

Why I read it: I watched Firefly and the follow-up movie, Serenity, a couple of years ago on my quest to watch ALL the Joss Whedon shows. (All I have left is Angel!) I absolutely loved it. Laughed a lot, cried some, just absolutely loved it. So I bought this recently at my local bookstore. Like I said in other reviews, I picked up some short books at the end of February to finish out the month.

Thoughts: ALL THE FEELS.

Damn. I told myself I wasn't going to flail. But I knew it was going to be so hard to contain myself writing this review. Because this isn't just a book. This isn't just a graphic novel. This is Firefly. This is fandom. This is life.

Let me try to start over.

This is the fourth volume of the Serenity graphic novel series. However, I have not read the first three volumes. Those books take place during the timeline of the show, while this book takes place after the movie. So I was more interested in the continuing adventures of the gang than heretofore unseen adventures. But now that I've read and LOVED this volume, I'm definitely more interested in going back and reading the rest.

Also, THAT TITLE. Just reading the title gives so many feels I can't contain them. And every time I read it, I practically shout the line that it comes from. And then I cry. (Almost.)

The art in this book is beautiful. It's colorful and eye-catching. It's easy to tell the characters apart, and they look fairly close to their actor counterparts. It was so great seeing the gang again, and seeing how they're doing now, eight months after the events of Serenity.

It had it all, everything I'd come to love and expect from a Firefly property. The fun slang, the sarcasm, the wit, the plot, and most importantly, the characters we've come to know and love. There was a couple of great surprise appearances, too, from characters I wasn't expecting to see.

The plot genuinely had me on the edge of my seat, just like the show and movie originally did. The overall plot from this volume was wrapped up by the end, but Whedon provided us with a couple of other teasers, plot threads than can be continued in further volumes. And that ending? WOW. I can't wait to read more of these graphic novels!

Rating: 5/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this graphic novel? What were your thoughts? And were you a fan of the original TV show? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment