Monday, March 23, 2015

Review: THE WICKED AND THE DIVINE VOL. 1 - THE FAUST ACT

Title: The Faust Act
Author/Illustrator/Colorist: Kieron Gillen/Jamie McKelvie/Matt Wilson
Series: The Wicked and the Divine Vol. 1

Summary: Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you're immortal, doesn't mean you're going to live forever. 


Why I read it: I've seen it around a bunch on booktube in hauls and such, but I hadn't heard a ton of reviews yet. Then I visited my local comic book store and decided to find a graphic novel to buy, and since this was one of the few series I want to read that only had one volume out so far, I went for it! Then I came home and read it immediately.

Thoughts: HOLY COW.

Part of what drew me to this series is the art style. It's super colorful and clean, and very 80's inspired. And I LOVE IT. Here are just a few examples I rounded up on the internet because BEAUTY.

  

The art perfectly complements the story, as well. The gods are colorful and flashy, so the art is, too. 

I have now read four graphic novels, three of which were first volumes in the series. But this is the first one that really made me feel something intense. The first volume of Guardians of the Galaxy very effectively sets up the upcoming story, but there's not much plot happening yet. The first volume of 30 Days of Night is simply just too short to really explore characters and make me attached to them. (Review here.) But The Faust Act sets up the story quickly, then continues with tons of plot. 

Our main character, Laura, is a major fangirl of the gods, providing the reader with a perfect stand-in within the story. We can all imagine ourselves as Laura, wishing to meet the gods until the day she does, and she's thrust into their world with all of its mystery and intrigue. And as Laura is whisked away into this crazy situation, so is the reader along with her. 

Laura gets to interact with a number of the gods, though we still haven't met all twelve. However, those we have met are all interesting and unique. Laura's specific connection to the gods is a newfound friendship with Lucifer, aka Luci, who I absolutely love to pieces. She's irreverent and sarcastic and fantastically androgynous. Through Luci, Laura meets several other gods, including Amaterasu, the Morrigan and Sakhmet, among others. And every single one is fun to read about. 

As I said before, this volume is packed full of plot, which moves quickly. The way Laura is introduced to each god provides an opportunity for a show, which is perfect for a story about god-pop-stars. 

And that cliffhanger? WOW. I was literally breathless by the end of this volume, desperate for the next one. Which doesn't come out until July. Of course. 

If you like graphic novels with a fun, fascinating plot, bright colors, and interesting characters, I highly recommend this series! 

Rating: 5/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this series yet? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment