Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: A DAWN MOST WICKED by Susan Dennard

Title: A Dawn Most Wicked
Author: Susan Dennard
Series: The Spirit-Hunters #0.5

Why I read it: I was bored late at night and I realized that I still hadn't read this yet. I have it on my Kindle app on my tablet, so I just opened it up and started reading. Then I finished it over the next couple of late nights!

Thoughts: I love Susan Dennard's writing, and I absolutely LOVE her Spirit Hunters trilogy. And I thoroughly enjoyed this novella! It was great finding myself back in the world of the Spirit Hunters and seeing some of the characters once again.

This novella is centered around Daniel, the sarcastic inventor and member of the Spirit Hunters. A Dawn Most Wicked explores Daniel's backstory and how he ended up in a team with Joseph Boyer and Jie. In the original trilogy, this past was hinted at, but we got a much deeper understanding of Daniel's character in the novella.

The novella is a lot longer than I had expected, but that definitely works in its favor, because we have time to really explore Daniel's history, as well as his relationships. None of it feels rushed, and everything seems necessary.

While I loved reading this novella, I admit that the story wasn't exactly what I was expecting, though it definitely makes sense for Daniel's character. I was just expecting to be much more emotionally invested in Daniel's relationship with Cassidy, especially after finishing the trilogy last summer. But I still loved the writing, and the action scenes were so fast-paced.

My only other problem isn't with the novella itself, but rather how it is marketed. It is listed as the #0.5 installment in the series, meant as a prequel. However, the beginning and end of the novella take place at the end of the first book, and contain major spoilers for that book. Therefore, I would strongly suggest waiting to read this until you've read at least the first book, Something Strange and Deadly, otherwise you'd be spoiling yourself.

I highly recommend this novella if you're a fan of Susan Dennard's trilogy. It might not be crucial to the story, but it definitely is enlightening and entertaining.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this novella? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment