Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: REACHED by Ally Condie

Title: Reached
Author: Ally Condie
Series: Matched #3

Why I read it: To finish out one more series on my long list of unfinished series!

Thoughts: Boy, did I dislike this book. Mind you, not as much as I hated Allegiant. But still a strong dislike. In fact, many of my problems with this book were similar to the problems I had in Allegiant.

If we're being completely honest, I began reading this book with the expectation that I wouldn't like it. I didn't enjoy the second book in the series, Crossed, very much, so I was already disillusioned with the series in general. And reading this book, all of my fears were confirmed.

Here is my main problem with this concluding novel; the main conflict and problems in this book seem entirely separate from the rest of the series. The main overarching conflict from the first two books is solved fairly quickly here, within the first quarter of the book. And, as in Allegiant, a whole new complication arises that was barely hinted at within the first two books. It made for a very disjointed story.

I also don't care for the characters in this series. We get the POVs of all three main characters in Reached, but it's difficult to tell them apart. Their problems and thoughts are similar, all three characters constantly worrying about the same things. None of them have enough personality for me to really care about them and their fate that much, even when the situations they find themselves in are very dire.

If I didn't care much for the main characters, then the secondary characters I've all but forgotten already. I can't remember any of their names, much less remember their exact roles in the plot. Part of the problem is that basically all of the secondary problems are new to the series, introduced only through the course of this last book, and only serve as plot devices rather than well-developed characters. They are props, not people.

I really liked the first book in the Matched trilogy. It wasn't a favorite, but it was enjoyable. But unfortunately, the series only went downhill from there. I am glad I have finished yet another series, but this will most likely make my list of least-favorite books for the year.

Rating: 2/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this book yet? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment