Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bout of Books 13 -- Day 1 Progress Report and Day 2 Challenge!


Hello, and welcome to Day 2 of the Bout of Books read-a-thon!

Day 1 Progress Report

Pages read -- 112
Books finished -- 0
Currently reading -- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

  • So far? LOVING it! 


Time spent reading -- 2 hours (distracted while watching TV)

Honestly, I could have done a little better yesterday if I hadn't been so fixated on LAST WEEK'S episode of RuPaul's Drag Race that I had already seen. But also in my defense, I drove home four hours yesterday after Sarah J. Maas's event in St. Louis on Sunday. So I lost a ton of reading time, and I was exhausted! So I'm still confident I can complete my goals for the week!

Day 2 Challenge

Today's challenge is hosted by Lulo Fangirl, and here's her explanation in her own words! 
Create the ultimate character face-off.
Pick two of your all-time favorite characters. They can be from the books you chose for the read-a-thon (or not — totally up to you).
Even though they are both your favorite, you HAVE to choose one as the winner. And tell me why.
Sell me on why this ONE character is your favorite character of ALL characters.
This is such a tough challenge, but also a fun one! So I decided to do NOT ONE, NOT TWO, but THREE rounds of competition! So we have my favorite females, my favorite love interests, and my favorite best friends. Because I couldn't just pick one!

Round One:
Celaena Sardothien vs. Alina Starkov

Celaena 
Who: Main character from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
Why I love her: She's a teenage assassin who still loves dresses and eating and puppies. She's basically the best of both worlds--total badass, and complete girl. I love that she can be both. 

Alina
Who: Main character from the Grisha trilogy (Shadow & Bone) by Leigh Bardugo
Why I love her: She goes on such a journey throughout the series. She has to learn to deal with so much in such a short time, but her friends remain the most important part of her life the whole time. And she is unwaveringly loyal. 

Winner
.....
....
...
..
.
CELAENA SARDOTHIEN!
(Come on now, did you doubt for one second that Celaena would win?)

When I think of characters who have suffered in their lives, Celaena usually tops the list. She's been through so much in her life already, and it's only going to continue. There are only three books out so far in this six-book series, and already Celaena has gone through more character development than most characters do in their entire series. As much as I love Alina, I just can't imagine anyone overthrowing Celaena from her throne as my favorite female character. 

*Note on Round Two: Let's be honest. I can't use my newest book boyfriend for spoilery reasons. So all I'm going to say is Shatter Me. And you know.* 

Round Two:
Chaol Westfall vs. Carswell Thorne

Chaol
Who: The captain of the guard and prince's BFF in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas.
Why I love him: Yes, I am completely CHAOLENA forever and ever. Chaol is so loyal, but also ridiculously sweet, and fiercely protective of those he loves. The moment I fell in love with him was at the end of Throne of Glass, when he lays on the ground and puts his hand right outside the circle next to Celaena's. Like, I melted into a pool of butterflies at that scene. Plus, he's hot. Who could ask for more?

Thorne
Who: Captain and dashing rogue in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.
Why I love him: If Chaol is the good guy, then Thorne is the bad boy. Whom I can never resist. Thorne is sarcastic and thoroughly unable to take himself seriously, but he's always there for his friends when they need him. And once again, he's hot. I just love a sexy bad boy. 

Winner
.....
....
...
..
.
CHAOL WESTFALL!
(Once again, could you not see that coming?)

Though I love Captain Thorne to pieces, no one gives me quite as many butterflies as Chaol. Everything he does for Celaena, or Dorian, or the kingdom in general. He's so loyal and protective, and he's going through just as much character development as anyone else in the series. I will also love you, Chaol Westfall. And thank you, Sarah J. Maas for giving him to us. 

Round Three:
Jamie Roth vs. Kenji Kishimoto

Jamie
Who: Secondary character in the Mara Dyer trilogy by Michelle Hodkin
Why I love him: Let's face it. I just have a soft spot for male best friends. Jamie is relentlessly sarcastic, even in the face of danger. Jamie is always there for Mara, even when times are hard. (And I mean, REALLY hard.) He never abandons his friends. 

Kenji
Who: Secondary character in the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi
Why I love him: Kenji also falls into the relentlessly sarcastic category. He's overconfident and absolutely hilarious, even in the face of danger. (Wow, I really like this character type. Obviously.) He's friends with Adam to begin with, but the friendship he develops with Juliette is the one that made me fall in love with him.

Winner 
.....
....
...
..
.
KENJI KISHIMOTO!

What sets Kenji and Jamie apart in my mind is Kenji's soft side. Jamie has a bit of one, too, but he keeps his even more hidden. Kenji develops such a close relationship with Juliette that he's occasionally able to really open up to her and show her that vulnerable side of himself, the side that made my heart break for him. He's constantly protective of his friends, and he takes it upon himself to keep morale high, so he hides his fears and worries from most people. And that vulnerability is what makes Kenji my favorite best friend. 

WHEW. That was a little difficult, but I had more fun than I thought I would! That's it for today's Bout of Books post. Come back tomorrow for the Day 2 Progress Report and Day 3 Challenge! 

Tell me: how are YOU doing on the read-a-thon? And who would win in a face-off of your very favorite characters? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment