Monday, May 4, 2015

Review: THE WICKED WILL RISE by Danielle Paige

Title: The Wicked Will Rise
Author: Danielle Paige
Series: Dorothy Must Die #2

Why I read it: After finishing Dorothy Must Die Stories, I was VERY intrigued to see where the story went. And I wanted to keep up with the series instead of falling behind. 

Thoughts: What a great second installment. 

I was a little worried when I bought this book, because it is significantly shorter than the first book, and I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough meat there. But I was so mistaken. 

The great thing about second books, and the reason they get away with being shorter than first books, is that there is way less world-building to be done here. We've read the first book, we know all about the world and the characters and what is going on, so we don't need all of that in the second book. Instead of introducing things, second books can get right into the action and not let up. 

Because trust me. The Wicked Will Rise is definitely not short on plot. 

This book picks up pretty much exactly where the first book left off, and it doesn't really slow down from there. There are a few quieter moments, but the plot is constantly moving forward. It doesn't stagnate at all.

Though we don't get to see all of our favorite characters from the first book, we do get to meet a few new characters along the way like Polychrome and Bright. And they are so much fun. Amy continues her journey here, fighting to remain good when her inner wickedness is fighting to be fully released.

We get to see new parts of Oz we haven't been before, and we get to revisit places we have. But those places are changing, as the events of the series start to catch up with the landscape.

And without going into details, THAT ENDING. I was never bored with this book, even though parts of it were a little less eventful than others. But then we got to the last quarter of the book, and I. Could. Not. Put. This. Book. Down. So much was happening, and so many revelations, and that twist. And so many plot threads were coming together, including threads introduced in the Dorothy Must Die Stories collection of prequel novellas. So I would highly recommend reading the novellas before reading this sequel. Things will come together even more beautifully that way.

Danielle Paige definitely upped the ante in this book, and I cannot wait for the third book. But a quick glance at Goodreads tells me that the third book isn't due until 2017?!?! HOW is that even possible? I severely hope that is just a placeholder, and that we will get to see it much sooner than that. Otherwise, the book world might just have a riot on its hands. Publishing, you've already pushed back the release of The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater. Give us a bone. 

Rating: 5/5 stars

Tell me: have YOU read this sequel? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment